Downpipe “first flush” water diverters help to prevent the initial run-off of roof rainwater entering your water tank. This first flush of rainwater often contains debris and leaves amongst other things. Installing a rainwater diverter helps to prevent such debris from flowing into your rainwater tank.
Features and Benefits
- Prevents undesirables from entering your water tank (e.g., sediment, droppings, spiders, insects, mosquito eggs and debris).
- Improves water quality which helps to increase the lifetime of pumps and appliances.
- Very easy to install and maintain.
How Downpipe Water Diverters Work?
- Rain falls from the sky and runs down your roof and gutters
- Water flows into the downpipe from your gutter and starts heading towards your tank.
- Vertical PVC piping intersects your piping your gutter to your tank, which the initial rainwater flows into a starts to fill.
- A float ball valve located inside the vertical pipe starts to rise with the rainwater. Once full, the ball value creates a seal at the top which prevents dirty rainwater escaping.
- Clean rainwater continues flowing from your gutter, through the pipe, over the ball and into your water tank.
- A slow-release valve at the bottom of the vertical PVC piping releases the dirty water over time. Alternatively, a drip irrigation system is sometimes fitted which leads to your garden.
Should You Install a Rainwater Diverter?
If keeping your rainwater as fresh as possible is important to you, then we highly recommend installing a rainwater diverter in addition to gutter strainers and/or leaf strainers.
Water diverters will help to prevent any debris and pollutants on your roof and gutter from being washed straight into your tank. This will also help to reduce the sludge that would otherwise collect at the bottom of your tank and need cleaning out.
Clark Tanks supply “first flush” downpipe water diverter kits. Make an enquiry with us today using the contact form, or inquire when purchasing your tank about any rainwater tank package deals that include a water diverter.